[Sussex] Re: Setting up a simple home network

Captain Redbeard hairy.one at virgin.net
Sat Apr 30 14:50:17 UTC 2005

 >John Crowhurst wrote:
 >
 >Make sure the mount point exists on the client, its just a
 >directory.

It does.

 >ok chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.portmap should fix that.

Already done.

 >The NFSd on the sharing machine doesn't allow you to
 >perform theoperation, perhaps you've not restarted the
 >service ...

I assume simply typing "rpc.nfsd" restarts it or do I need
to send a message to the daemon?

 > ...or the setting is too restrictive.

How do I check what the settings are?  There doesn't seem to
be a nfsd.conf file or equivalent.

 >It looks like the setting you have doesn't allow the
 >connecting machine to even have readonly access. You could
 >try changing it to:
 >
 >/home/public (sync,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)

Done.

 >Well, you are getting somewhere, albeit slowly.

Good!

 >Steve Dobson wrote:

I was already doing so when I read your posting!  However
when it rebooted I got the following message (\ indicates a
new line to avoid confusion with the word wrap):

.
.
.
\Starting NFS services:
\  /usr/sbin/exportfs -r
\exportfs: No options for /home/public
192.168.0.1/255/255/255.0: suggest
192.168.0.1/255/255/255.0(sync) to avoid warning
\exportfs: /etc/exports [5]: No 'sync' or 'async' option
specified for export "192.168.0.1/255/255/255.0:/home/public".
\  Assuming default behaviour ('sync')
\  NOTE: this default has been changed from previous versions
\exportfs: No host name given with /home/public (sync),
suggest *(sync) to avoid warning
\exportfs: /etc/exports:5: syntax error: bad option list
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 8
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.statd
.
.
.

...part of this was due to mistyping one of the options in
/etc/exports so after some experimentation and several
reboots I and finally came to the conclusion that the this
was the most appropriate entry for /etc/exports:

/home/public shrineofthebeard.homenet
(sync,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)

(Quick recap: templeofthebeard.homenet, 192.168.0.1, is the
server, the one I'm doing all this work on right now,
shrineofthebeard.homenet, 192.168.0.2, is the client)

Now the output above has become:

.
.
.
\Starting NFS services:
\  /usr/sbin/exportfs -r
\exportfs: shrineofthebeard.homenet has non-inet addr
\exportfs: shrineofthebeard.homenet has non-inet addr
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 8
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
\  /usr/sbin/rpc.statd
.
.
.

...which is better.  Now I went back to the client machine
to see if anything had changed and typed "mount -t nfs
templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public /home/public" and got:

mount: templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public failed, reason
given by server: Permission denied

Back to the drawing board, what have I missed?

Captain Redbeard.

Linux user number 388693.
v2sw5+8C+JGhw5ln4/5pr6/7Ock1ma6/8l6+8Sw3+2e4t2b9Hen4+6
g5+3RHaIr9 Hackerkey.com