[Sussex] LDAP Presentation

nik butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Mon Aug 1 10:25:08 UTC 2005

Jon Fautley wrote:

> Alright Guys :)
>
> Thought I'd chime in with a few notes on this, as I've been doing a
> metric assload of work with LDAP recently. (Probably more on this
> later)...
>
> Firstly, Nik, well done, good presentation!

thanks Jon.. I can see by the fact that we did not see you that the full
stealth mode cloak is in operation.

> Just a couple of points that might make people's lives easier when
> looking to use this:
>
> 1. While it's not mentioned, the LDAP server Nik is using is OpenLDAP.
> This is available with most, if not all, of the major distributions.
> Debian, for some reason, calls it slapd - pretty much everything else
> will call it OpenLDAP (i.e. yum install openldap-server
> openldap-clients...etc)

You mean there are other Distributions than Debian.... <shudder>

> 2. LDAP Objects: An LDAP directory (it's NOT a database ;) ) is made
> up of objects. Every item there is an object.
>
> It works like this:
>
> Jon Fautley << Object
>     -> sn: Fautley << Attribute
>     -> uid: jon    << Attribute

> etc....
>
> Objects and Attributes are what makes up an LDAP directory.

yes I think I said in my talk that LDAP objects are like this WHOLE
other discussion and presentation most notably because they are both
VERY SIMPLE and BLOODY OBSCURE at the same time.

> 3. The addressbook stuff.
>
> I don't really see why you're using the mozillaABPersonObsolete - as
> the name implies, this schema is deprecated and should not be used.
> The options availiable in here are in the standard schemas (see:
> INetOrgPerson). The problem with using the Mozilla broken-schema is
> that you're limiting the compatibility of your address book to
> Mozilla-only clients. By using the standard systems, you can integrate
> with many more addressbooks. While it's not perfect, it pretty much
> JustWorks(tm) with most clients (albeit without write-support).

yeah we never did crack that in the other company though ... I guess
youve had more exposure since then !

> 4. PHPLdapAdmin is a really cool tool - but you might also want to
> look at Directory Administrator (http://diradmin.open-it.org/) if you
> want something that's a little easier for the novice user. It's a GTK+
> application. While it's aimed at Centralised Authentication services,
> it works quite well for addressbooks too.

i think you lost most people on the GTK part.  I like browser based
management of server applications  but since i am using Ubuntu and KDE
jointly more often then I will try it out.

> 5. Issues
>
> Write back support? I know certain client support this - you just need
> to correctly configure the LDAP server to accept updates from clients.
> This is, obviously, disabled by default.

In the clients ...e.g. Outlook and Mozilla it appears broken... well
thats  what I understood.

> Security? You can very easily secure LDAP servers. By doing this
> you're limiting who can access the directory, and who can update.
> OpenLDAP has a VERY extensible authentication scheme, so each user can
> manage their own entries, but nooone elses, 'Managers' can update
> other information, etc...

yes .. another part of slapd which I did not touch ....

> LDAP coupled with TLS is a very secure solution, and should be
> reasonably (ignoring all legal requirements) safe when exposed to the
> Internet - as long as you've configured it correctly.

> Final Point - if you want to know more about Centralised
> Authentication with LDAP - you might want to book tickets for the next
> LinuxWorld expo... no promises, but there might be a talk on it ;)

You giving a talk eh <grin>

> Oh yeah, there should be the obligatory plug for the Fedora Directory
> Server in here - it makes all this stuff so much more simple!

I actually want to play with that bit of sfotware for one of my
customers in the Anglian Region.  Since I now run two sites for
ReducedHackers  covering the South and the North of England and this
means I want to look at that for one of my more larger customers whom
have a very distributed configuration.