[Sussex] hardware question about DVDR/DVDRW

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 11:44:30 UTC 2005

Hi list,

My Aunt (the same one who had the snags I asked about earlier this year)
has got herself a new PC, so she's given me the old one.

The only things that are worth using are the DVDR/RW and network card.
So I've put the DVDR/RW drive into my "box".

The SuSE 9.3 seems to be seeing the device OK (I think anyway, as it is
showing up in the YaST hardware information facility). So apart from
making sure that any burning
software has DVDR/RW support, is there anything else I need to do to
check that it'll work OK (it's only about 6 to 8 months old)???

I can't check it with just a music CD as my sound card only has the one
audio lead, which is connected to the CDRW in my machine, and as I
understand it, that negates trying it
that way. Or unless anyone knows of any media player apps that are now
capable of picking up the sound in a similar way to windows or in some
other method?

regards

John D.