[Sussex] NTL broadband speed up

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 10:39:04 UTC 2005

Andrew Guard wrote:
> Cable firm NTL has upped the basic speeds of its broadband offering from
> an entry level of 3Mbps to 10Mbps.

> Now we are talking, but no word on upload and bandwidth limits.
>
> PS Cable modems can work upto 100Mbs ADSL2 can only do up to 24MBps.

But Cable and ADSL are two very different technologies, and cannot be
compared in the same way.

Remember - your internet connection speed isn't just limited to the
speed you're talking to the 'other end' of the connection (DSLAM in the
case of ADSL, UBR in the case of Cable).

I also doubt that most of the NTL/Telewest network can do 100Mbps - the
cable they've laid is pretty poor quality in most areas.

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169