[Sussex] FTP - Fedora core 3

Adam J Purcell adamjpurcell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:33:07 UTC 2005

I believe vsftpd is the prepackaged FTP server that comes with Fedora
3 (certainly does with 4 an the much older RH 9).

In that case you should be able to install it with (as root):

yum install vsftpd

Then you just need to start it up:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd start

Plus you need to make sure your firewall isn't blocking it.  Assuming
your using the default iptables this will show your firewall rules:

/sbin/iptables --list

If you need to add an entry to enable FTP through your firewall you'll
need to edit the file '/etc/sysconfig/iptables'.  I'm a lot fuzzier on
this (I don't have a firewall on each of my machines on the LAN..)
You'll need need lines somewhat like:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 20 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT

FTP is a nasty protocol to have to open up through a firewall - if
possible it may be worth disabling the firewall for your initial
tests...

/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop

Hope that is of some help.  You should find the vsftp config under
/etc/ (i.e. /etc/vsftpd)

Adam