[Sussex] Resolutions

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Aug 12 10:06:35 UTC 2005

Ronan

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:56:08AM +0100, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> Can anyone shed some light on an annoying X resolution problem?  I'm
> using a flat screen monitor at work (HP 1702 TFT) which is capable of
> 1280x1024.  The machine used to have Mandrake 10 on it which happily
> drove the monitor at the right resolution.  However since installing
> Ubuntu, I can't get the resolution higher than 1024x768 without it
> using a virtual desktop space (ie: the desktop extends out beyond the
> monitor ), as if the highest resolution was 1024x768.  I've tried
> generating some Modelines for the full resolution, using the monitor
> specs from the HP site with no joy - same thing happens.  I know it
> will do the full resolution because it has quite happily in the past.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know the Mandrake 10 X server version which might
> have helped, but the current one is the standard Ubuntu Hoary xorg
> version 6.8.2. The graphics card is an on-board Intel 82865G PCI device
> using the native X driver's built resolutions / modes which does list
> 1280x1024 as supported in Xorg.0.log.  However the log also contains
> the line
>
> (II) I810(0): Not using built-in mode "1280x1024" (width too large for
> virtual size)
>
> Any ideas anyone?  If you need to know anything else let me know. I can
> attach over xorg.conf files, etc as required.

I am still using XF86, but I think the configs are still the same.

Take a look in your config and look for the "Screen" section.
In there I have some lines like:
     Subsection "Display"
	Depth 24
	Modes "1024x768" ....
     EndSubSection
Make sure that there is an entry for the resolution you want.  In fact
make it the one and only and try that.  The error log then my give you
a hint.  It might be the driver that your using for the graphics card.

Quark!  Quark!  Beware the quantum duck!