[Sussex] Resolutions

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Fri Aug 12 10:49:19 UTC 2005

Hi Mark

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:09:50 +0100
"Mark Harrison (Groups)" <mph at ascentium.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 10:56 +0100, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> I'm also using Hoary, and can't make it go wrong :-(

It is good isn't it!!!  Debian with whizzy bits!!!

> I assume that you're using the standard GUI tool on
> System/Preferences/Screen Resolution, and the drop down just doesn't
> include 1280x1024 (which is what I'm running at.)

You're right that the dropdown doesn't show 1280x1024, but I'm
directly editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The resolution problem happens
even with GDM, before I've got anywhere near the gnome desktop, so its a
fundamental X oddity as far as I can see.

> I'm wondering what Hoary is detecting your graphics card as, though?

Device Manager is showing the correct card details so everything seems
to be happily seeing everything else, they're just not doing what I
tell 'em...  or maybe they are and I'm telling 'em the wrong things
somewhere - more likely!!!

:-)

Ronan