[Sussex] NTL broadband speed up

Andrew Guard andrew at andrewguard.com
Fri Aug 12 14:53:49 UTC 2005

> Hi
>
> On 11:26:34 pm 11/08/2005 "Andrew Guard" <andrew at andrewguard.com> wrote:
>> "What's more, our customers will be able to make full use of this
>> extra bandwidth because we won't be introducing caps and all the new
>
> How contended is it?

The report level for DOCISS (Cable Modem) is 20:1.  It all down to how it
configured in your street.  But that is if everyone in your street is
connected to a cable modem.  If your only one in that street with cable
modem then you’re at 1:1.  This is down to how DOCISS works.

ASDL normal contention is 50:1.  You can also get contention of 25:1 and
also of 5:1 if you pay for it.  Contention doesn’t happen in your street
as for cable modem but it happens at the exchange.

Also it worth noting that connection just isn't at the last mile as such.
All ISP contended there connections to Internet.  What happends is this,
say they have 10 people on 5K connection making it total of 50K needed.
They know that not everyone need this all the time.  So they buy a
connection to telehouse of about 35K.  This is how they make there money.
Most ISP's don't make this public knowledge and there is know way of
finding out ether.

It worth noting that DOCISS has been improving dramatically over years.
Most updates to DOCISS have been very cheep for cable networks as it only
been an improvement need to be made at network centres.  It only now they
are talking about updating hardware at the end user.  This is there
problem for network providers in UK as they keep ownership of the cable
modems and give them on a free rental basis.  All cable modems have
Ethernet but most are Ethernet and USB.  This is unlike ADSL where the
norm is giving them free to you or selling the box to you.  So if anything
goes wrong with this box it your problem after the first year.

--
This e-mail has been edited with a webmail service.