[Sussex] Syncing calendars between Exchange and Open Standards

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 14:16:40 UTC 2005

Well, at least syncing free/busy info...

I have a large client, whose email is MS Exchange.

We've put a proposal to them that they migrate some of their users
(about 10,000) to an Open email solution (POP3 / IMAP / SMTP / iCAL)
backend.

This will allow them to save the migration costs to E2k3 for that part
of their estate, while NOT having to go through the major hassle of
rolling out a new desktop across several hundred locations. (They can
manage the hassle of rolling out a new config for their existing Outlook
client fine.)

The issue we're up against is that the people on the MS system need to
book meetings with the people who'd be on the new system, which means
seeing free-busy info shared across the two.

They are, like many large organisations, not keen to write their own
code, but are looking for some off-the-shelf code to do this.

I should stress that they are NOT looking for a consultancy to write
this for them, but instead for an existing software application that
their existing teams can deploy.

Anyone got any ideas?

Mark