[Sussex] Ubuntu Backports - FYI

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Tue Aug 16 12:54:24 UTC 2005

Hi folks

Just for general interest, have now managed to sort out my laptop (I
think).  Applications, gnome components, in short everything was
crashing like crazy after I started tracking backports.  It seems to
have been the gtk2-engines-clearlooks package that was causing most of
the problems.  However that wasn't the whole story, because I have
another machine that doesn't crash at all and is also tracking
backports.

Downgrading is pretty easy.  Remove backports entries from
sources.list, do an apt-get update and then do something like

apt-get --reinstall install mypackage/hoary

which will force a downgrade to the hoary tree for that package.  You
can use hoary-updates or hoary-security if you want to for packages
that have official updates, or you could just do a dist-upgrade after
installation.

Just in case anyone's interested...

Cheers

Ronan