[Sussex] Email processing scripts

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Aug 19 15:58:53 UTC 2005

Rupert

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 04:35:54PM +0100, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> Steve Dobson wrote:
> > I'll have a looks if those two friends of Mr. Command Line aren't want
> > I'm looking for (See my earlier reply to Geoff's reply to Jon's e-mail).
>
> I take it that this is in the middle of a procmail script?

No, I don't think you are.  I could do it as a procmail script but I'm
looking at using the queryprogram router (in exim4) to first check the
signature and if okay tell exim how to route the mail.  If I put this
before my local delivery router then it can:

   DECLINE: If it isn't an e-mail for the updater process,
   FAIL:    If it is an e-mail for the updater process, but
	     the signature is not valid or not one of the approved
	     signatures, or
   ACCEPT:  If the the email is to be processed by the updater.

>                                                             I would be
> careful to make sure that there's a rule to first copy _all_ mail into a
> backup folder, before passing any of it to any scripts.

As I recall that is a standard procmail suggestion,.  In this case I don't
think it applies because I don't want the e-mail to be kept.

> That way, when you make a mistake, you haven't lost anything important.
> (In fact, that saved a couple of mails for me when I was playing)

Well I haven't anyway.  The only important part of the e-mail is the
attachment which I want the updater to process - and that is still
stored on the sendor's computer.

Must be getting close to town -- we're hitting more people.