[Sussex] Gentoo Network Problems

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 11:37:18 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

> Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 05:16 +0100, John D. wrote:
>>

>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I was following the instructions to do a stage 3 install without a
>>> network connection, as I wanted to initially use the binary GRP
>>> packages from "disc 2".
>>>
>>> The problem is that some of my efforts to get stuff installed from
>>> the second disc are throwing up "Temporary loss of name resolution"
>>> type errors. Why that should be is a complete mystery. The packages
>>> are supposed to be on the disc!
>>>

>> If you're doing an install using the Universal Install CD and installing
>> packages from the packages CD (also known as a GRP install), you need to
>> follow this link on how to set up the 2nd CD:
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=11#doc_chap2
>>

>> I suspect The name resolution problem occurs because there are internet
>> repositories listed in your /etc/make.conf file. Look for something
>> like:
>>
>> GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://
>>
>> in your /etc/make.conf file. Comment this line out.
>>
>> If you are going to be doing a lot of installing of packages from the
>> packages disk, you might edit the line beginning:
>>

>> #PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
>>
>> to look like:
>>
>> PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/packages"
>>
>> So when you run emerge --usepkg, portage should look in these locations
>> for your binary packages.
>>
>> Remember you'll need to mount your CD-ROM first.
>>
> Ok Steve I'll go and check that.
>
> I was wondering if it was because I was using incorrect "terminology"
> i.e. like since they had to change the kde stuff because of kde now
> being a "meta" package.
>
> Because the system seemed to get gnome from the packages CD fine with
> just "emerge --usepkg gnome", plus just doing the stuff as laid down
> in the install handbook for "finalising" (gettng firefox and
> thunderbird).
>
> At the moment, it seems to be getting the kde stuff after I did "
> emerge --usepkg kde-base" (all 275 packages worth - phew).
>
> I suppose that once I can get the kde, gnome and office stuff, if I
> then try to do the update (post checking the make.conf) it will be
> coffee time in a mega way as it updated.
>
> I'll post back with a progress report.

Further to the above, I still can't get too "outside" addresses/URL's.
the "GENTOO_MIRRORS" thing that you mentioned isn't present in the
/etc/make.conf just the basic universal compile options - the only bit I
added was the "MAKEOPTS="-j2" for single processors.

I can ping my other network connections i.e. Clares laptop and the laser
printer, but as soon as I try to get anything outside, I just get the
"ping: unknown host etc etc" error.

I have my ISPs nameserver listed in the /etc/resolv.conf so I can't see
why it won't see any external addresses - I can see the module for my
network card listed if I do lsmod, as already mentioned the
/etc/resolv.conf and trying ping, so now it seems a big ????? because I
should have started the emerge --sync by now, but it won't let me ??

regards

John D.