[Sussex] Ha Ha! Almost complete Gentoo success!

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 19:48:44 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

> Well, it's taken a while, but I've now got my gentoo back up and
> running. Not in a "look at me, I've just done Gentoo stage 1" boastful
> sort of way, just a "whoa! Bogus! Excellent!" sort of way.
>
> I did enjoy the SuSE 9.3 that Dave C. gave me, but there seemed to be
> just too much stuff that had been "SuSEised" for my liking (seemingly
> even more that mandrake/mandriva do). It was very clever and an
> enjoyable experience, but I'm pleased to be back with the gentoo.
>
> All I have to do now is finish off emerging world plus dog - just a
> shame that it can take a while! Ho Hum! Coffee anyone?

Looks like Steve W. was right, what with all the bits and pieces I've
installed and the like, that little beaut of a command, *emerge --update
--newuse --deep world *comes to a grand total of some 447 packages.
Ouch! So I don't know about taking "some" time, more like forever! Oh well.

regards

John D.