[Sussex] Linux job opportunities

Alan Delaney hairy.one at virgin.net
Tue Aug 23 21:30:44 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've been researching the idea of going into part- or full-time network
administration training for some weeks now but have been unimpressed
with what I've found.  There seems to be very little Linux-related stuff
locally and the only significant possibility was the certs offered by
the Linux Professional Institute which allow the possibility of doing
the study at home and then just registering for the exam when you feel
you're ready.  On the other hand, there seems to be no end of companies
offering "guaranteed jobs" upon completion of their courses and, while
some of these seem quite genuine, they're invariably MS-centric.  True,
such a course would be a start and better than nothing, but I'd rather
start off how I mean to continue by taking a recognised and in-demand
Linux network administration course.  Does anybody know of any options I
may have missed in this regard or can anyone tell me how recognised are
the LPI certs and what are my employment prospects were I to devote my
time to studying for their certs?

--
Alan Delaney

Registered Linux user: 388693.
Registered Linux machines: 289172, 289173, 296291, 296293, 296294,
   296869.
Geek score: 34.714% - Total Geek
Hacker key:
   v2sw5+8C+JGhw5ln4/5pr6/7Ock1ma6/8l6+8Sw3+2e4t2b9Hen4+6g5+3RHaIr9