[Sussex] Linux job opportunities

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Wed Aug 24 12:20:45 UTC 2005

Jon Fautley wrote:
> S'alright, I'll take the email how it's intended :)

Good stuff.

> I think you need to differentiate the types of employers (and, more
> specifically, recruiters) that IT folk are exposed to. You're a techie
> (I'm sure you'd agree with this) and as such, you look for the technical
> things in a person, as I would. You're not an HR manager, or manager of,
> say, a sales team.

That's true.  However the number of companies that would expect the HR
manager to do the recruiting without technical input would probably be
limited to those companies that don't currently have any technical staff.

> Most of these people wouldn't know BIND from Sendmail - so they have to
> rely on certifications as a 'benchmark' of the candidates knowledge. The
> problem I've found on a number of occasions is that recruitment
> companies will always 'push' certification to the company looking for a
> new hire. Why do they do this? Well, because it a) makes them sound good
> and b) earns them money (someone w/certification may get hired for more
> money than someone without a certification, and as such, the %age of the
> candidates salary that the recruitment company takes away == more £££)

Yup, that all sounds consistent with my experience of recruitment
consultants :-(

> Definatly - but the whole point behind certification is to prove that
> you're at least 'on par' with other people with the same qualification.
> It stands to reason, certainly with Red Hat certifications, that someone
> with an RHCA (Red Hat Certified Architect) is going to have more
> exposure/knowledge of certain topic than someone with an RHCE (Red Hat
> Certified Engineer).

Ah.. this is like Microsoft's assertion that you can't get a job in I.T.
without a Microsoft qualification.  While having one might differentiate
you from someone else, it wouldn't make the difference in terms of
employment, other factors like you're personality are likely to take
higher precedence in a decision between two otherwise equal candidates IMHO.

> While I understand that there are some totally crap certifications out
> there (I mean, what's a 'European Computer Driving License'? It seems to
> prove that someone can open up MS Word, as opposed to proving they can
> use a computer), but if you look for, or have, the correct
> certifications then you're going to get more interview than if you don't
> (in my experience) - especially if your 'commercial experience' is
> lacking slightly.

Yes.  If you don't have commercial experience it can be useful,
definitely.  I'd suggest however (as I did in my previous e-mail) taking
any kind of sys-admin job (even help desk work) and actually getting
some experience will get you more job interviews and cost you less.

> Agreed. There's an excellent Dilbert strip that sums that paragraph up -
> sadly I don't have it to hand at the moment :(
>
> I have an A-level in Physics - but do I know more than someone that's
> been working in a nuclear power plant? Probably not...

As someone who used to work in a nuclear power plant I can tell you
definitively that those people who need to understand the physics hold
doctorates, everyone else has basic on the job training and the vast
majority of them probably know _less_ than is taught on an a-level
physics course.   However this only highlights the difference between
academic achievement and the ability to do ones job.

> Red Hat certifications are, obviously, Red Hat software-orientated,
> however, they do teach the skills required to administer any Linux
> system. We aim for 'this is how this service works, and this is how it
> would be used' rather than 'this graphical thing makes this work'.

Nice to hear it.  I was referring to the impression the name gives
people rather than the content, but I am rather reassured to hear that
you guys at least try to the right thing.

>>-  LPI certification is not something many people have heard of
>>generally, names Red Hat and/or Novell are known.
>

> Agreed. I've looked at the LPI stuff in the past, and haven't seen
> anyone ask for them - I have, however, seen people ask for RHCE
> qualifications.

Red Hat customers by any chance?  :-)

> Yes, I do indeed work for Red Hat - so whatever I say, it'll be bias -
> however, I was pleasantly surprised (as a techie) at the quality of the
> Red Hat courses, and would recommend people to attend them if they're
> after a recognised qualification. Red Hat's won several awards for their
> training program, and occasionally beating the 'king' of IT
> certification - Cisco.

I've heard that Cisco qualifications are very out of fashion with
employers now (something to be aware of), although I would point out
that it was an MCSE trainer who told me that :-)

> Obviously, I should point out that any and all opinions in the above
> email are mine and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the
> opinions of my employer.

All my opinions are Rory Gallagher's and do not necessarily reflect
unless coated in silver and placed under a layer of glass.

:-P

--
G.J. Teale
Development Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

T +44(0)1403 755 071
F +44(0)1403 755 051
E gteale at cmedresearch.com  W www.cmedresearch.com