[Sussex] Laptop choice

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Thu Aug 25 21:11:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 01:03:32PM -0000, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Well, my trusty Dell Latitude LS seems to be on its last legs (hence no gpg
> sig on this email).  HDD errors, strange freezes, etc, which accounts for
> some of the odd crashes that have been happening lately.
>
> So, I'm looking for a new laptop.  Been looking at things like the Dell
> Inspiron 9300 which apparently works great with Ubuntu.  I've had a good
> flick through the linux-on-laptops site, but was wondering whether anyone
> has any mega-success stories with laptops that they want to share?!!?

No mega-successes due to lack of experience... but I cannot recommend
Dell.  My last Dell (this one as it happens) cost me 53 phone calls just
to get it delivered. But it *was* delivered. Only 22 days later than
first promised.

Back then, they did not support Linux (they tried at some point later
and stopped very quietly again), so I had no option but to purchase it
with windows. They were not willing to sell it to me without an OS. And
not without a hard disk either.  So I've got a legal copy of Windows ME
(!). Unopened. It might have been OK if I'd accepted the initial license
it presented during the first boot.

My next laptop will be an IBM one. But I'm stingy, so this one has to
die a (preferably horrible) complete death first...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl at jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com