[Sussex] Upgrading from RHEL to Fedora

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Aug 30 12:11:34 UTC 2005

Hi

On 12:17:00 pm 30/08/2005 Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:
> problem is that if all goes wrong and the decision is to go back to
> the original setup I loose any updates that were installed (I won't

You mean you restore a backup and get it back exactly how it was? :)

> go down this path again, but I really don't see subscription to
> updates as a good solution for the end user - unless there is a means
> to keep access to all updates that were available when your

the RPMs are all available anyway from redhat's ftp site.

> basis) - although I think Ubuntu may well fall in that category too.

Definitely not, Ubuntu is only released every 6 months and once a version
is released the only time it will get an update is if there is a security
problem or a serious bug. If you're behind firewalls and proxies then you
could avoid most updating altogether.

> With Debian stable being so up to date at the moment (more recent than

haha, say that again in 3 years when they are failing to get another
release cut ;)

> there that has quite cracked the ideal update policy yet, although it

What is your personal ideal update policy?

Cheers,
---
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net