[Sussex] whats with the DONT POSTS

Nik Butler nik at butlershouse.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 18:39:40 UTC 2005

Okay I amm getting in my new years wish early,  but would it be possible
for people to stop posting when they CANT do something ? for example
people tend to post to say thet cant  attend a meeting, help with an
event or contribute to a project. I suspect there are many lurkers on
this list whom at somepoint or another have considered taking part only
to see a post ( or three ) from people saying they cant make
it/attend/take part.

I appreciate the sentiment of those "cant posters" and it is  a shame
when people cannot take part. I can understand the desire to be
"counted" and remembered by the group. It does however seem to me that
it reflects quite negatively when so many people say they
wont/cant/are-unable to do something.

Its not unusual for many of our events to have between 5 and 30 people
in attendance. I just wonder how many 'lurkers'  get put off when they
see people saying they wont make it.

Now the question is this. Does my freedom to ask this to end, restrict
your freedom to post ?  Well yes it does and no it doesnt. I cant
control or stop anything in the postings to this list. I can however in
this email appeal to the angels of your better nature to consider if in
posting your absencse , will it benefit the list ?

Nik