[Sussex] AMD Sempron Chips and BIG backups

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Wed Dec 14 10:46:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:24:29 +0000
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com> wrote:

> Alan Pope wrote:
> > Heheh@ big drives. One mans "big" is another mans "tiny".
>
> Agreed - 100GB? Pah... ;)
>
> A quick tally of storage that I really should backup stands at ~1TB.
> That's just at home - I'm not even going to mention work ;)

What!?  1TB?  At home?  Have you bought HMVs entire stock and converted
it all to MP3 format or something?  How the heck have you stumped up a
terabyte at home?

You win the big data award, btw!  :-)

> in one enclosure. That's also why you can get "SATA RAID" disks -
> they're designed for bulk use.

I can't find a reference to SATA raid drives anywhere... I've tended
towards seagate and can't find anything on their site about sata raid
drives??? Got any urls that I can look at?

> Just remember - sticking a large number of cheap disks in a single
> enclosure can cause problems - if this is a mission critical system,
> I would consider SCSI disks, or if price is an issue, SATA RAID disks.

Basically this project is one that is sorely needed but may not get
past the requisition stage if its too pricey.  Not directly linked to
sales success, ergo, not important...  Hence I was looking at SATA
rather than SCSI, but maybe I'm fooling myself a bit.  Possibly
investing in a decent enclosure and some good drives will save me
headaches down the road...

On the other hand maybe getting a decent drive enclosure will be enough
to reliably house a set of SATA drives?

> > This can be done under linux with LVM I believe. I have not tried it
> > myself but this link might be interesting to you.
> >
> > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshotintro.html
>
> Ack. If you're going down this road, test, test, test and test some
> more before you deploy it :)

Why's that then?  Having a full drive backup is quite an attractive idea
I think.  Or are you acking the LVM snapshot stuff?

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com