[Sussex] Samba Problems (yet again).

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 21:29:00 UTC 2005

Paul Tansom wrote:

>OK, assumptions first:
>
>1. Your using CUPS on the Linux box
>2. You are running Windows 2000 or XP on the client (*)
>
>Suggestion:
>
>Ignore Samba and go straight to CUPS using IPP.
>
>I tend to find that where printing is concerned I get better performance
>and connection reliability from the more modern Windows OSs if I use IPP
>instead of SMB to connect.
>
>Working from my virtual XP installation in my brain (where windows and
>dialogue boxes often don't quite look the same as real Windows!) since
>I've killed my XP workstation for now. If you install a local printer
>and choose the 'internet printer' option, then use the address:
>
>http://serverip-or-name:631/printers/printername
>
>you should be able to connect and print quite easily. If not check the
>restrictions in the cupsd.conf file for an Apache style <Location />
>section and ensure you have an Allow From line for your local subnet (or
>relevant part thereof).
>
>(*) you can probably do it with an appropriate utility under 98, etc.,
>but I've never looked to be honest!

No, Clares laptop is running W98 (elderly Pentium 2 thinkpad).

I can't find any reference to W98 using IPP - of course it may be
possible though I've either been looking for the wrong thing or in the
wrong place.

As for using it and any potential problems (i.e. your comment about
cupsd.conf and/or Apache style <Location /> sections), I wouldn't know
what to do with them if they stared me in the face - what I know of
Apache (and cups for that matter) could be written on an Amoebas' bum! :D

There seems to be an absolute deluge of info about Samba, unfortunately
it's written in technogeek/cuniform!

Thanks for the suggestion though Paul.

regards

John D.