[Sussex] Online with Ubuntu

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Feb 8 18:40:36 UTC 2005

Hi

On Tue, February 8, 2005 12:18, Geoffrey Teale said:
> Yes, but see above.  Doing it on debian would be as much work as doing
> LFS if not more.  Just because you can do something with Debian it

Not really, you could rebuild all the packages with some pretty simple
scripting and CFLAGS playing.

> Ever wonder why chip manufacturers bother to create things like MMX or
> 3Dnow?

For accelerating specific operations, typically floating point type
operations. MMX/3DNow are only of any real use if you are hand coding
assembly routines with them for things like codecs or 3D work. gcc isn't
going to be able to do anything significant with them on most code.

> skilled hands a system compiled from scratch with the right flags can
> have significant performance gains against the same box.

Do you have numbers? I've seen a lot of gentoo people claim a lot of
things that nobody has managed to back up with actual data. Outside of the
kernel and libc most things are going to be highly transport bound and all
the optimistion in the world won't make your disks go any faster ;)

It's also worth noting here that Ubuntu's packages are not built for 386
CPUs, they are built with P4 instructions, which, if anything will make
the most difference when it comes to gcc flags.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net