[Sussex] Online with Ubuntu

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Feb 9 06:59:47 UTC 2005

Garin

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:47:58PM +0000, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> Steve Dobson wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:02:40AM +0000, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> > > Finally got round to installing Ubuntu.
> >
> > What!  Some one is leavin' the Debian fold.  This is a sad day.
>
> I haven't left the Debian fold at all (the very thought makes me run cold).
>
> I am merely trying Ubuntu for a while in the interests of research, the
> primary purpose being to see if I can suggest this distro to newbies &
> non-techie users. The early signs are encouraging.

Well then, I wish you good luck in your research.

>                                                    However, for myself,
> I already miss the flexibility of Debian. Which is not to say that
> Ubuntu doesn't have some very nice features (& it is Debian underneath).

I await your return to the fold.

> My Debian installation broke while trying to upgrade to Sarge & it
> seemed a good time to try Ubuntu.

This worries me.  An upgrade shouldn't break now.  Sarge is frozen and
therefore very, very close (for debian read less than six months [plus])
for becoming stable.

I've had no problem upgrading.  So can I ask what commands you used to
upgrade?

In March we have our "Hacking and Installing Feast" and I will be
bringing the SLUG debian mirror along to that.  If anyone needs it
before then shout and I'll bring it along to the next meeting.