[Sussex] Linux Heavyweights Sound Off At Summit

Angelo Servini Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 17:41:13 UTC 2005

The news is still good, and Linux use continues to spread with ever greater takeup, however:

<quote>
A desktop version of Linux hasn't advanced as rapidly as the server version for a number of reasons. Microsoft's dominance in the desktop operating-system market is a big reason, but Kapor suggested another: the nature of desktop Linux development. Each component that comprises a desktop operating environment, whether the graphical interface, productivity applications, or browser, is being developed by different groups with little collaboration.
"It's not principally a technical issue," Kapor said. Rather, it's been a lack of motivation for these groups of developers to create a unified interface for users.
</quote>

The link to this: http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=BR4UOVWQNBS4IQSNDBESKHA?articleID=59301210

IMHO is, its time maybe for the Open Source community to address this.  Im all for freedom of choice, but - how fast would a unified desktop advance, if ALL the desktop teams pooled their efforts?

I read a mail by someone on the ubuntu forums who sounded off to ATI for their crap support of Linux. But, who can blame them.  They perceive the Linux community as a small insignificant group and M$ is king.  They will make a wrong and uninformed choice, and pool all their efforts into supporting the majority OS, as seen by their eyes.  That is not to diss the good manufacturers like Nvidia and HP, who do go out of their way to produce quality drivers for Linux.

If the Hardware community on the other hand perceive Linux as becoming an up and coming better bet.  Then you will see them burst with activity to provide support.  Its all driven by profit.  If linux is to be king, then we need to win the Desktop battle. Thats my 2 denarius, anyhow.

"A committee is a group that keeps the minutes and loses hours - Milton Berle".

--
Angelo Servini
Programmer/Analyst
* angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk
The above information is confidential to the addressee and may be privileged.  Unauthorised access and use is prohibited. If you received this message in error please tell us by reply (or telephone the sender) and delete all copies
from your system.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore this Company does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. This e-mail message has been swept by Activis e:)scan for the presence of detectable computer viruses, but we cannot guarantee that it is virus-free and you should scan this email for viruses prior to opening or saving any attachments.

Please note that communications sent by or to any person through our computer systems may be viewed by other members of the Hogg Robinson group.

Claybrook Computing Limited (Registered in England and Wales No 1287205) is a subsidiary of Claybrook Computing (Holdings) Limited

A Hogg Robinson company.