[Sussex] Linux Heavyweights Sound Off At Summit

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Feb 9 19:12:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 06:45:49PM +0000, Richie Jarvis wrote:
<just a little snipage>
> Well said that man!  Lets hope M$ is forced to use open standards in
> their office applications very soon.

M$ is already being forced to publish some of their formats as an
open standards.  With states like Massachusetts adopting an open
standards purchasing policy [1] M$ has to adapt to government policy.
Not only are governments big users of IT, but they often require
that businesses that work for them use the same software - that is
what I found when I worked for a company providing systems to
the MoD and DoD.

Steve

[1]
http://www.techworld.com/applications/news/index.cfm?NewsID=2952