[Sussex] Online with Ubuntu

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Feb 10 09:45:05 UTC 2005

Colin / Gavin

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:59:05AM +0000, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Gavin Stevens wrote:
> > I used apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade (having added the testing
> > URLs to apt-sources).
>
> ADDED?

Yes, not a bad idea.

> You should have changed every instance of "stable" or "woody" whichever you
> had to either "testing" or "sarge" whichever you wanted to track.

If you are trying a development version of Debian then some packages may
not have been configured for that version (more true in the early days
of a new version).

The package manager will go for the latest version of a package, so if
to versions exist (say one in woody and one in sarge) the later one
(sarge) will be selected.

But if only one version exists (in woody, as the package is orphaned) then
that package can be installed.

> As it is you probably have both package lists at the moment which will
> confuse things.

Well here is my /etc/apt/sources.list
  deb ftp://ftp/debian sarge main contrib non-free
  deb ftp://ftp/debian sarge non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free
  deb ftp://ftp/debian woody main contrib non-free
  deb ftp://ftp/debian woody non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free

  deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

  deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free

Note that both sarge and woody are listed.  The reference to
"ftp://ftp/debian" is to my local mirror the UK mirror.

> Try fixing apt-sources and then apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade again.

I would liked to have seen the sources.list text and the error messages
on the screen.  The package managers is very good, and most systems are
recoverable if you know what your doing.  Mostly I do, or have managed
to fake it :-)