[Sussex] Samba configuration ???

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Feb 12 21:09:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:58:47 +0000, Steve Williams
<sdp.williams at btinternet.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> I haven't tried to connect to my Pocket PC XDAIIs with Samba. I'm fairly
> sure PocketPC as installed on the XDA doesn't support it. However, I do
> use SynCE for file transfer and synchronisation of Evolution.
>
> Depending on your configuration there are a number of components. You
> will need the basic SynCE libraries and stuff, with SynCE-KDE or
> SynCEGnomeVFS depending on your choice of desktop. SynCE is a work in
> progress but so far it's been pretty usable. However, you'll need the
> latest release to get the best out of it. If you're a Gentoo user you'll
> need to use the ~x86 masked packages.
>
> This link will get you started.
>
> http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/
>
> Make sure you follow the install and connect instructions carefully.
>
> I find it works better with a 2.6 series kernel and udev.
>
> Hope this helps.

Well so far, I haven't even managed to make the system see the device,
unknown or otherwise. Plus when I migrated from pipex to eclipse I manged
to balls up most of my email account details in evolution and have stuck
to using the opera m2 client for email!