[Sussex] Samba configuration ???

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 07:57:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:00:22 +0000, Geoffrey Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org>
wrote:

  ---%<----

> Sorry - I wasn't suggesting that you used emacs 22 (on portage it's
> under emacs-cvs AFAIK, but you need ~x86 to find it) - it's still in
> development.  All I was saying is that it'll be stable soon and it's can
>   use gtk2 as it's widget set (it's also a little user friendlier config
> wise).
>
> Actually what is now called Emacs 22.x was previously known as emacs
> 21.3.50 - but RMS had to do an emergency patched release which became
> 21.4 just last week (which is what you've pulled John), it caused a bit
> of a stir on the emacs-developers list, but everyone is now looking
> ahead to a GNU Emacs 22 release.

---%<----

To be honest Geoff, as soon as I started the emerge and noticed the 21.4
nomenclature I presumed that the 22.x version that you'd alluded to
was a development package.

As you say, it'll hit "the tree" (the stable one that is) soon enough
(actually, when I did the emerge I noticed some other packages that I'd
not heard about like the beta of kde 3.4 so there should be quite a few
updates/upgrades heading my way in the near future!).

Using gtk2 as it's widget set? Well that's not really something I'm likely
to notice yet, I'll have enough on my plate learning the basics :D (like
the tetris in the tools version :P ). The only downside really is once
I've ploughed
through the tutorials etc, to find enough reason to use it to become
familiar with it.

Ha, at least they seem to have moved away from the default diarrhoel
vegetarian greenie brown for the background screen that was used last time
I'd looked at emacs! :D

regards

John D.