[Sussex] Protecting files on a CD

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Sun Feb 13 10:28:15 UTC 2005

Hi!

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 03:59:26PM -0000, Brendan Whelan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a shell script which saves various files and directories on to
> a CD using mkisofs. I would like to password protect some of the
> directories on the CD.
> Any suggestions about how I can achieve this?

On a removable media, you cannot easily password-protect stuff, as this
relies heavily upon cooperation by the OS that reads the media...

However, you *can* encrypt stuff, so that it can only be read by those
having the correct key/password.

Even when encrypting stuff the challenge remains to choose an encryption
that is both safe enough and available on the reader's OS..  Personally
i'd choose GnuPG unless there is no way it can be used...

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl at jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com