[Sussex] Microsoft to collapse..

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 10:46:59 UTC 2005

Personally, I'd have to agree with you too.  Gartner and other IT sites
still show that the market share of IE is around 90%.  In 3 months of
launch, and over a year and a half of mainstream existance as such (stable
releases), Firefox hasn't made huge moves on the browser share.  I love it
and would never go back to IE, but most people still haven't heard of it
really.  Not at a level that'll make them any more interested in trying it
out.  The average joe might have heard some tech savvy co-worker or friend
mention it, but not really understand what the fuss is about.  After all,
he's already got the internet on his machine, that’s what the blue E is for.
Sadly, most IT writers seem stuck with their heads half in IT world,
forgetting that people in the real world don't think like them at all, and
basically couldn't give a brass monkeys how they get on to the internet,
write a letter, use the computer; as long as they actually can.  Why change
to Linux when their machine came with Windows?  All the benefits are
primarily stuff that IT geeks pay attention to, not the end user.  Why use
Firefox when IE does what they need?