[Sussex] Microsoft to collapse..

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Sun Feb 13 11:01:20 UTC 2005

Hi

On Sun, February 13, 2005 1:34, Geoffrey Teale said:
> I believe they've dropped the DB filesystem idea for Longhorn.  I'd also

Ah right, fair enough, so Longhorn *will* just be a theme pack for XP ;)

> etc., etc., for details).  Of course there's no way Microsoft would give
> you the ability to use this database to serve many users without
> requiring you to pay lots of extra money in licenses.

Of course :)

> filesystem.  Even if you ignore the obvious point that every filesystem
> _is_ a database, IBM has had a database as a filesystem since the 1970's

I've had the "is a fs a db" argument a few times and yeah, you're right
that they're very similar.

> function - this isn't to be underestimated as a function, Google

I really don't want google in my PC, but clearly people have way too much
data to handle, so I suppose we're going to have to move towards better
searching. Organising files neatly in the first place is still preferable
imho ;)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones