[Sussex] Gnome annoyances

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 12:36:08 UTC 2005

Hi list,

Firstly, a mega thanks to Steve Williams for popping down and running me
through the connection and config process of my pda/smartphone. All mp3's
now copied :D:D:D

So, back to the gnome annoyances. While he was setting up the
pda/smartphone thing, Steve showed me how he had his desktop set up on his
laptop - very smart.

With that in mind, I thought I'd re-look at gnome, in a vague attempt to
assess my historical preference/prejudice viz kde rather than gnome.

After having a little meddle and shifting most of the taskbar stuff to the
bottom, and resizing the icons/taskbar etc my first "gnome annoyance" has
appeared. Try as I might, the taskbar won't sit on the very bottom of the
screen, it stays stubbornly above it, about the width of the actual task
bar. I can change the orientation and tell it to position itself at the
top and it'll happily sit right at the top of the screen, but when I try
to reposition it at the bottom, it will only go back to that same "taskbar
width" above the bottom edge of the screen.

How do I get rid of this annoying characteristic.

Regards

John D.