[Sussex] XBOX FIRE RISK

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Fri Feb 18 10:33:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 10:27 +0000, Jon Fautley wrote:
> It's actually only the power cable that's got the problem, not the Xbox
> itself.

An integral part of the package no less.

> Which other hardware would you describe as 'naff'? I have a Microsoft
> Optical mouse sitting on my desk, because I consider them one of the
> best mice on the market for reliability and usability. As do many other
> people I know - even die hard open source advocates. IBM helped the
> Nazi's during WWII, do you stop using their hardware? I think not...

Quite right.  I use a Microsoft trackball at home.  Their keyboards suck
though.

Of course these devices are actually made under license by Logitech and
are in no way related to the quality of the X-Box.

> Yes, you too could be the one out of 10,000 people (estimated) who's
> xbox power cable gets a bit warm! I'm not aware of them spontaneously
> bursting into flames, burning the house down and raping your mother,
> though.

:-)

> Yes there is a risk that there could potentially be a safety issue with
> your xbox power cable, but A) how often do you play about with the
> power cable? and B) it's been working fine for X months (I've had mine
> about 1.5 years, and as far as I've noticed, it's not burnt the house
> down, or raped my mother).

Jon.  The fact that something works correctly for a period of time
rarely makes it less liable to risk.  The captain of the titanic sailed
it _most_ of the way across the Atlantic without once hitting an
iceberg....

Without understanding the exact circumstances of the flaw I would guard
against complacency no matter what name is written on the box.

--
Geoffrey Teale <gteale at cmedltd.com>
Cmed Technology