[Sussex] [Wireless Networking ???]

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 01:23:57 UTC 2005

So, having replied to Geoff and Matthews answers and then nipped off to
the adslguide <http://www.adslguide.org.uk/> to see what they have to
say, I got a bit confused.

Why? well, linksys, for example don't seem to vary their naming
conventions very much, and it looks like what I'd be best with, if I
opted for their kit, would be the the WRT54GS
<http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=38&CategoryID=123&ProductID=984>
device, but on closer inspection, I'd still need a modem as it doesn't
seem to be built in. Though if I then look at the main linksys site, it
becomes apparent that I'd still have to use the Solwise SAR110
modem/router as a modem - the particular linksys model mentioned above
doesn't have an integral dsl modem.

Would that actually matter? I have an 8 port hub plugged into the
solwise device at the moment, so would that actually create any
problems? I suppose it'd be better if I just replace that with the
wireless device, though I'd have to check things out as I'd still need
to plug in my network printer to something?

A good thing that I'm still investigating/thinking about this and hadn't
chucked any readies at any particular device (yet)! So any other
advice/suggestions etc would be great.

regards

John D.