[Sussex] Radeon 9600 (r9600 256DDR)

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Feb 22 19:14:32 UTC 2005

Paul

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:37:53PM +0000, paul Morriss wrote:
>   I am trying to get accelerated 3D graphics working on my SuSE 9.1
> Professional desktop machine, I am trying to use the latest ATI drivers
> from the ATI website, I install the RPM and try and reconfigure X but it
> comes up in 640x480 and not accelerated.
>
> Has anyone tried this?  Or is any there anything subtle or not that can
> cause the driver to not be correctly installed?
>
> I get the following from fglrxinfo, the Mesa Indirect I read means its
> not correctly installed?
>
> WS01:~> fglrxinfo
> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> display: :0.0  screen: 0
> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
> OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.4 Mesa 5.0.2)
>
> any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar problem with h/w acceleration not working on my
VIA M2 10000.  It turned out that I was missing some modules in the
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  That section now looks like:
    Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "drm"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
        Load    "v4l"
        Load    "fbdevhw"
    EndSection

Note that both dri and glx are listed - you may not need exactly the
same set as me, check the web.

As for the size check the log file to see what modes & refresh rates
the hardware is finding/detecting/using.  The log is normally in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log.

Hope this helps