[Sussex] Help!

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Feb 26 11:14:07 UTC 2005

Angelo

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 10:51:22AM +0000, Angelo Servini wrote:
> I am unable to log in to gnome on Ubuntu
>
> The error is:   "Unable to read  /home/angelo/.ICEauthority
>
> I went into recovery mode and fired up MC and the file was there.   I am
> unable to make head or tail of it though.
>
> What do I do so that I can get in?
>
> Aaaaaaargh.  F*****!

Login, you didn't need to duel boot.  If you hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 then it
will provide you with a text only terminal login.  Use that method
to login as "angelo" and the type the following commands:

   $ ls -l .ICEauthority

and

   $ file .ICEauthority

When I try them this is what I see:
   $ ls -l .ICEauthority
   -rw-------  1 steve staff 18482 Feb 26 09:57 .ICEauthority
   $ file .ICEauthority
   .ICEauthority: ICE authority data
   $

As I logged in at about 10 this morning it would appear that this
file is modified during login.  I logged out and used a terminal
login to check the file again and the modification time had changed
to 11:05.  I them renamed the file and found I could log back in.
A new .ICEauthority was created and I could log back in using
GDM with out a problem.

This suggests that your .ICEauthority is corrupted or has the
wrong permissions.  Delete it, (you may need to be root to do
this), and then you should be fine.

Note:
  There are normally 6 terminal sessions on a x86 Linux system
which can be accessed via Ctrl-Alt-F1 - Ctrl-Alt-F6 when in
X11 mode or Alt-F1 - Alt-F2 when in terminal mode.  To get back
to the X11 window session is normally Alt-F7, but just just work
your way along the function keys until you find it.