[Sussex] Remote (Samba 3.0.x) Domain Accesss

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Jan 9 00:16:22 UTC 2005

Paul

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:04:58AM +0000, paul Morriss wrote:
>   I have setup a Samba primary domain controller (TEST_DOMAIN) on my
> local network, I would like to allow remote computers across the
> internet to access the domain, can anyone make any suggestions on where
> to begin?  Does it involves CHAP secrets and other stuff like it?

Have you thought about setting up a VPN between the Samba system and
it's clients?  I am no expert, but most old network file-systems were
designed before Internet security was seen as an issue, and IIRC
the SMB protocol transmits passwords in plain text (just like
FTP/TELNET/... which were designed when everyone on the network
was trustworthy).