[Sussex] Remote (Samba 3.0.x) Domain Accesss

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Sun Jan 9 11:49:21 UTC 2005

paul Morriss wrote:
> Richie
>   Would the remote machine be part of the domain?  The firewall that we
> will be going through is Smoothwall Express 2.. Should I expeact any
> issues ?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Paul

Reminder to me: read the f***ing email first!

No - it wouldn't join the domain, however, I am sure you could get it
to, as Windows allows you to connect a network connection prior to
attempting to login.  Although, this shouldn't be necessary, as Windows
caches domain logins for a time on the remote machine (I think the
default is to allow 10 logins,) and once they have logged in, they can
connect the VPN that way.

When my external users connect from a machine that isn't part of the
domain (like my home machine for example) the first time they connect to
the network, they are asked their windows username/password combination.
  Windows can then be told to save this for future connections.

Oh, and just in case anyone is annoyed for having a windows discussion
on ere - my PDC is linux, my VPN server is linux, and some of my users
are successfully using the same OpenVPN configs on linux.

Cheers,

Richie