[Sussex] linux command line

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jan 13 17:01:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 15:52 +0000, Andrew Guard wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 13:26 +0000, Al Girling wrote:
> >> H folks,
> >>
> >> John was asking for a list of commands and what they do.  Maybe this is
> >> the sort of thing you were looking for;
> >>
> >> http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml
> >>
> >> You might also consider a copy of the Linux Cookbook, which is a little
> >> biased toward Debian, but should still be useful.
> >>
> > Cheers Al,
> >
> > Mucho appreciado as they say in Spanglish!
> >
> > I'm bookmarking all those command type links and similar stuff - the
> > closest that I've actually found myself is
> >
> > http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Commands
> >
> > but even that is a bald list (granted a quite helpful list).
>
> I dont mind web site like this but always think content like this isn't
> realy designed for the web, persional I hate read pages and pages on
> screen I would rather have an nice pdf file which I could print out the
> pages I am intrested in.  What thoughts on this stange prefrance that I
> have?

Well Andrew, that would be something else to check out, as I'm in
complete agreement, and also hate reading too much stuff from a
screen/monitor (even though I'm staring at a 21" CRT - thanks Dave!).

I find that it leads me to "skip read" web pages with "excessive"?
text.

So perhaps if I did embark on such an endeavour, then it would probably
be something like a PDF, I believe they are, or can be made,
searchable?

So it would be like just one download, or maybe make it available as and
online thing or pdf as well?

Don't know, as It's really just something that I've had floating round
my head (well, actually since Steve D did a "home visit" on his way back
from the "fair" a couple of weekends ago - and despite his protestations
otherwise, he, like quite a number of "Luggites", is an absolute "mine"
of commands, I suspect he'd turn down the offer of decapitation and hard
wiring ;-P !!!).

regards

John D.