[Sussex] Another place called home

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Thu Jan 20 14:08:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 01:58:39PM -0000, Angelo Servini wrote:
> Would it be possible to have a different partition for
> /home/username/documents If so, how does one implement the linking to
> it. I think it would be FSTAB I assume?
>
> ie.
>
> /dev/hdc? /home/username/documents xxxxx xxxx xxxxx
>
> What do you think?

Well, yes.  This is what I would do.

> This is so that if I scrub out a particular distro I can always get
> back to my docs.

Indeed.  You can instruct many installers not to touch certain
partitions.

> Its probably not a good idea I think to have /home/username on a
> different partition because the differing distros may not link
> libaries in the same place? is this correct?

Nope. "/home/" as a separate partition is fine.  Libraries are usually
under "/" and "/usr/lib".  And unless you have a chroot jail setup for
your home users (unlikely), it will not affect anything to do with
libraries.

What made you think this?

[..snip incrediably large signature..]

-- Thomas Adam

--
I know nothing, and understand even less.