[Sussex] Window's Refunds

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 15:41:45 UTC 2005

 From: Geoffrey Teale [mailto:tealeg at member.fsf.org]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] Window's Refunds

> Richie Jarvis wrote:
> > Very interesting - I recently purchased some machines from Dell for
> > Linux installations - the best I could achieve was to have Windows XP
> > Home on the system at a saving of £30.  They refused to supply the
> > systems without an OS, as Microsoft didn't allow it!
>
> Yup, the OEM license agreement that Dell have with Micrsoft prohibits
> them from selling certain lines without Windows licenses.  This doesn't
> seem to be the case for "workstation" and "server" class systems (I
> bough a dual Xeon workstation from Dell two years ago now and it came
> with Red Hat 8 preinstalled), but most laptops and non-Xeon desktops
> seem to be stricken with this problem.
>
> As Angelo mentioned the best answer is to go with a vendor who will ship
> Linux or OS free.  That's quite hard though when you need 40 identical
> laptops with well defined hardware for a given date.

I would of though that IBM would be a good place to go but considering that they recently sold of there consumer pc market I don't know where this stands anymore. Plus dell are cheaper then IBM.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message. In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.