[Sussex] Apt-Get

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri Jan 21 23:11:59 UTC 2005

Angelo Servini wrote:
> I notice you use apt-get on gentoo?  Is that easy to install?
>
> Synaptic on Ubuntu also looks quite nice to use.

AFAIK Synaptic is just a GUI front end on top of apt-get / apt-cache
etc.  You can use apt-get from the command line in Ubuntu just the same
as on Debian.

> <Geoff Teale mentioned "sudo su - ">
>
> why not just "su - "  ?

Because `su -` would ask you for a root password (which you won't have
on an Ubuntu system), but `sudo su -` would ask you for your user
accounts password (so long as your user is in the /etc/sudoers file).

You can actually configure sudo to not ask you for a password at all,
needless to say this is recommended.

--
Geoff Teale
Free Software Foundation <tealeg at member.fsf.org>