[Sussex] Linux and laptops

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 22 11:33:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 06:33 -0800, Ben Gr0ss wrote:
> Hi, I just joined the list, I live in East Sussex now,
> and have been trying to get linux on my laptop.
> Mandrake wouldn't load, I couldnt get Debian to load
> properly,
> I just triede Ubuntu this morning, it loads fine.
>
> The Mandrake geeks tell me I must have memory
> problems, I did a memory test and it says I do, I will
> replace the chip with a spare and see if mandrake will
> install, but I am impressed with Ubuntu and am install
> it on the other computers.
>
> Anybody else have experience with linux and laptops?
> I am thinking about attending the moot.
>
> Ben
>
> =====
> ~my new web site: www.geocities.com/forgottendruid~
> ( --be in peace--)

Ben,

I have lots of recent experience with Linux on laptops, largely through
some painful Gentoo updates recently. I'm currently compiling KDEWebDev
(a.k.a. Quanta+) and various
other KDE bits - it takes an age, but the end result is worth it.

There are various bits and pieces that are a little out of the ordinary,
such as the PCTel modem and my Zoom bluetooth card, but otherwise most
distros cope OK.

Good idea to attend the moot, there's a lot of experience there to help,
and the presentations are always worth listening to. Next moot is
Thursday 27th.

Have fun.

Steve Williams.