[Sussex] A Quality product from Microsoft

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 21:06:38 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:

>>Ha, ha, ha, laugh at stupid Microsoft for not realsing that Haugesund is
>>on an island with no direct ferry connection to mainland Norway....
>>Oh, bugger, they DO realise that.
>>
>>But wait, you can get a ferry to another island, and get a connecting
>>ferry to mainland Norway..... Oh, except you can't, can you?
>>
>>Out of interest, oh smirking one, how would you do the journey if you
>>didn't have a helicopter?
>>

>The same way MapPoint does it: boat.  Only I wouldn't travel in the
>opposite direction to my desintation.
>
>Steve

There are numerous train journeys in the UK where the _fastest_ route is
to travel AWAY from your destination on a stopping service to a larger
station, and then catch a fast train whizzing through waving at the
people you left on the platform :-)

Out of interest, has anyone checked the ferry timetables? As far as I
can work out, by using internal Norwegian ferries, you actually have to
use _three_ of them, and travel across two intervening islands.

Hopefully, however, the Norwegians have been travel planning than the
UK, so this isn't stupid. There are numerous outlying islands in the UK,
however, where travel to the mainland happens, say, once a week.

Out of interest, which route planner do you use? I'm looking for a FLOSS
one, but haven't really found anything.

Mark