[Sussex] CVS

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Sat Jan 29 08:49:59 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:

> Well given that the CVS protocol transmits the passwords in plain text
> and SMB can be configured not to I am guessing SMB is the more secure
> of the two (if configured correctly).

A better method is to configure CVS to use SSH as it's external transport
protocol (a matter of setting one environment var and adding :ext: to the
front of the repository id). Then once you have generated and installed the
keys it will be secure and won't require the user to log in manually every time.

This has the side effect of making all the file transfers secure as well.

regards,

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

	- Arthur C. Clarke