[Sussex] A development in the SVO v IBM case

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sun Jan 30 11:23:13 UTC 2005

Adrew Guard wrote:
<snippage>
> For people who don’t know, once upon a time not so long ago IBM was the
> big bad wolf in IT from view point of USA government.

Less the government, more it's competitors.

> IBM was the boss of
> IT, it controlled the mainframe market.

A good point, but it's worth noting that at it's peak IBM never
controlled the same percentage of it's market as Microsofts Windows
enjoyed of its market, IBM had a broader control over IT however - it
was in every market and it locked you into using it's software if you
wanted to use it's hardware (and visa versa).

Microsoft has been tring to emulate what IBM had in the last few years.

> To make long story short they got
> in lot trouble because of this but it the USA having a monopoly on a
> market is not a crime.

That's an interesting statement.   Monopolies are not inherently a crime
  anywhere.  If I start making a device to coat turnips in chocolate I'm
pretty sure I'll have a monopoly in that market, and I  wouldn't be
comitting any crime (well, maybe a crime against good taste, but who can
say what that is).

Both IBM and Microsoft have been on the receiving end of antitrust
actions - these aren't actions that inherently punish them for being
monopolies, but rather for the actions they took to become monopolies or
the actions they took to maintain those monopolies.

Monopolies are extremely bad in a free market economy* they completely
undermime the foundations that make a free market economy work.  For
this reason antitrust laws exist to ensure that where monopolies do form
they can be forcebly restricted from using the power they have to stop
others taking some of their market share.  It's a very strange area
generally - an action that could be perfectly legal if you control 30%
of a market may well be deemed to be an antitrust violation if you
control 80% of the market.

This of course all falls down in practice because in free market
economoies money equals power and dangerous monopolies have so much
money that even their own government rarely matches them for power.
Given that Microsoft just announced profits that are roughly equal to
the GDP of the state of New York and they have both the US and UK
governments (and various others throughout the world) sucking on their
tit you have to wonder who it is whose going to take them down.   Right
now  our best hope is that the EU has enouh good incorruptable people to
push through the antitrust measure in Europe.

Back on the subject of IBM - the real reason the action against them
fell down was that IBM made big errors in the PC market (they basically
set up Microsoft as a big player and then Microsoft turned on them along
with the clone manufacturers).  By the time IBM's antitrust case came to
a head IBM were already on the verge of bankrupcy.  For more info on
this period in IBM's history take a look at "Who says's elephants can't
dance" by Louis V. Gerstner Jnr available at amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060523808/qid=1107084033/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-4065044-0395857

Footnotes:

* Fortunately there are no free market economies in existance on this
planet - all government intervene and all governments control
centralised elements of the economy, i.e. the NHS, NASA, the police
force, etc.. etc..).

--
Geoff Teale
Free Software Foundation <tealeg at member.fsf.org>