[Sussex] router woes

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 12:59:11 UTC 2005

 From: Simon Huggins [mailto:huggie at earth.li]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] router woes

> Hi LUG,
>
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:30:15PM +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> > Generally the little blue LinkSys routers are "da bomb" - you can
> > flash them with all sorts of Linux goodies..

I'm not that big on the idea of using a linksys either tbh.

The Netgear unit the Richie mentioned was one I looked at for its
attractive price, the vigor one is a little expensive for my liking,
might check see if there are many on ebay.

> Some of them.  The WRT54G is specifically the one that's had lots of
> work IIRC.
>
> I bought the WAG54G which was a mistake.  I knew it didn't run linux
but
> I didn't really care I thought I'd use it as an ADSL router but it
gets
> confused when there was a NATing gateway between it and the web
browser
> using its admin interface, there are many reports of its wireless not
> working well depending on the firmware revision (I already had a WAP
so
> I've not tried it) and despite turning all the firewalling off it
seemed
> to block traceroutes.
>
> I'm using a linux box + a speedtouch frog now.  It means I can benefit
> from the native IPv6 we offer which is quite nifty but it also just
> gives me more control so if you're a geek and want to control as much
of
> your connection as possible then I'd recommend it.

This isn't really a possible route to take considering I have a block of
6 IP's to use.

> I used to use a connexant router before the linksys one and I had
issues
> with that forcing me to use PPPoE for various bits when I didn't want
> to.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.