[Sussex] Newbie!

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 04:19:19 UTC 2005

Ronan Chilvers wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:35:53 +0100
>"John English" <john at theenglishs.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Strongly dislike Outlook for personal reasons - am actually in the
>>process of migrating to Thunderbird but constrained by busy-busy-busy
>>of life!
>>

>You could also try Sylpheed-Claws
>(http://sylpheed-claws.sourceforge.net/) if you're thinking of moving to
>a linux workstation.  I use it and love it.
>

>>>Haven't been to a moot yet...You could go along to the BCF and have
>>>
>>Steve D reveal the joys of debian to you!
>>
>>While my time is rather constrained by work (R&D scientist) and study
>>(OU) I think I probably should!
>>

>To be honest, much of the life of Linux is on the net.  If you can't
>get to a meeting I think you can still be part of the community here
>and on other lists.  Of course, meeting some of these geezers face to
>face would be nice - must do it myself asap.

Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhh! Not another John? I thought we were starting to
"whittle" down a little since Fautley defected to SW London (not to
mention dead rat!).

Anyway, if John English is getting round to migration (or already
installed something as dual-boot???) go for familiarity to start with.
Firefox and Thunderbird for browsing and email work exactly the same
under windies as well as linux (well both apps have since I've been
using them, with gentoo, mandriva, SuSE, etc etc).

Plus it's only download and click to install for both, then just
customise for firefox and put account info for thunderbird. You can
always meddle with the extensions for both later. Plus the similarity of
how both apps work, compared with IE and OE, meant that even a nugget
like me can mess them up!

Oh, and welcome John English. The list is excellent. Though if you're
just starting to dip your toe in the linux waters, then the amount/depth
of knowledge from the lists "teflon heads" can be a bit scarey at times.
Though all the troops are vvv helpful.

If you want a few newbie type links then let me know, I've tried most of
them. Plus you can get a free subscription to "Tux Magazine". It's aimed
at those just those new to linux, and comes in .pdf format, so if you've
got acrobat or similar pdf reader you're away!

regards

John D.

p.s. Ha, live 8, 20 years anniv' ??? Lies, it was the 19 years, 354 days
anniversary. I should know, the original had nothing to do with Africa.
Geldoff put the original on for my 20th birthday!