[Sussex] Newbie!

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 13:57:23 UTC 2005

John English wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John D."
> <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk>
>
>> Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhh! Not another John?
>
> Tell me about it! Mind you - try going through Checkpoint Charlie at
> the height of the Cold War with my name to really wish you were called
> something else ("Yes, we know you are English, but what is your name?").
>
>> Anyway, if John English is getting round to migration (or already
>> installed something as dual-boot???) go for familiarity to start
>> with. Firefox and Thunderbird for browsing and email work exactly the
>> same under windies as well as linux (well both apps have since I've
>> been using them, with gentoo, mandriva, SuSE, etc etc).
>
> Currently on dual-boot WinXP/Red Hat 9 and have been using Firefox as
> my browser for ages. Didn't switch to Thunderbird back then as the
> version at the time (0.7) didn't seem to be capable of supporting
> Wanadoo's idiosyncratic way of providing multiple email addresses.
> Current Thunderbird however does but I just haven't got around to
> making the switch (mostly because of the need to transfer elaborate
> mail filters).
>
>> Oh, and welcome John English.
>
> Thankyou!
>
>> If you want a few newbie type links then let me know, I've tried most
>> of them.
>
> Always happy to have new sources of info, though time to follow things
> up is often limited!
>
>> Plus you can get a free subscription to "Tux Magazine".
>
> How?
>
> Thanks for the response - must now dash off to do a mound of OU
> coursework (assignment due in in a week and I've hardly started.
> Aaaaargh!)
I'll send you the first 4 as attachments off list (I hope you have
broadband cos each of the Tuxs' is about 4 megs, though one of the
earlier ones is about 11). Tux mag seems to be a relatively new
phenomanon, the 4th one was only available a couple of days ago.

I as subscribe to linux format. Though I often skip large parts as I
either haven't a clue what they're on about or am not interested in some
sections, but it's still useful.

I'll also send you as many of the links that I've found helpful (off
list). Then you can either bookmark them or whatever, so when you can
find 5 minutes too have a squint.

Personally, theres absolutely shed loads of stuff that I don't
understand, my background being "non-technical" (Armed forces followed
by Road Haulage/Transport) often means that I'll read something but just
"don't get it"! Oh and if someone tries to tell you that the learning
curve is good, then they're lying like a hairy egg.

regards

John D.