[Sussex] Diagnostic boot disk

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Mon Jul 4 07:48:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 19:32:14 +0000
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 19:19:19 +0100
> Ronan Chilvers <ronan at thelittledot.com> wrote:
> > Currently the refurbishment consists of checking over the hardware,
> > fixing simple problems (such as listed in previous email - RAM/
> > CDROM/ FDD/HDD/etc), ie: that can be solved by swapping out bits,
> > then zeroing the HDD and cloning a pre-prepared W2K image onto it
> > from a networked server.
>
> Surely you mean Linux? Your licensing costs must be astronomical!

No W2K, although I am gradually increasing the pressure
to trial something like Ubuntu.  The problem is that there is an
established base of windows knowledge (ie: sysadmins) in the places we
ship to, but there is little or no linux knowledge which means we have
a support issue.

Licencing isn't a problem since we have charity status.  MS sell us
licences for 5 quid each as a charity. The cost is still fairly high
- money is always short in this sort of thing - but we manage!  We can
afford it because 95% of the hardware is donated.

Ronan