[Sussex] European Software Patents etc....

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 15:30:26 UTC 2005

This has just arrived. It's the second reply I've had to my "moot
prompted" moan to the Southern Region MEPs. Thought that those
interested might like to have a read.

[quote]
Dear John,

Many thanks for your email regarding the Computer Implemented Inventions
Directive. You are far from being alone in your views on this issue; I
have received many other letters like yours, and fully share your
concerns. The directive as adopted by the Council on Monday 7 March is
not acceptable - either on grounds of reason, or of the threat it poses
to innovation, competition and small entrepreneurs.

The Greens have already been very active on this issue; for example, we
have co-hosted several conferences on software patents with, among
others, Richard Stallman and Alan Cox, and with software SMEs such as
Opera, MySQL and Graphic Convertor, in order to try and raise awareness
on the matter. We have also organised a peaceful demonstration to
express concern for the European Council's position, and in December
last year we called upon European Agriculture and Fisheries ministers to
respond to growing public and political hostility towards the proposed
directive and to reject the legislation.

I believe that the tactics used by the Council to push through their
version of the directive were an example of the EU at its worst.
Fortunately the legislative procedure being used for this directive is
co-decision. This means that the European Parliament will be consulted
on the directive again when the Council's version (the "Common
Position") returns to the Parliament for the second reading. Please be
assured that I, and my Green MEP colleagues, will do all we can to
re-write the text with the necessary proposals and amendments from the
Parliament's first reading, with the ultimate aim of limiting
patentability as far as possible. In the event that no agreement can be
reached between Council and Parliament - which is unfortunately what I
expect to happen - it is possible that the proposal may even go to a
third reading under the so-called conciliation procedure. Alternatively
if the Parliament feels that there is really no way of improving the
text of the Common Position, it could reject it outright.

Greens will be continuing to work to obtain a majority in favour of
limiting software patentability, in particular for software under open
source licences in bona fide non-profit contexts; software which is
necessary for the implementation of recognised international standards,
and for that which is necessary for creating software interoperability
for files and network protocols. However we will need to work hard to
convince enough MEPs of the importance of this issue, and will need
every possible support from outside the Parliament to do so.

If you would like more detailed information and news on European Green
policies and activities in the field of free and open source software
and software patents, please visit
h_ttp://lists.collectifs.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/greensource_ where
you can subscribe to the mailing list GreenSource.

May I take this opportunity to thank you again for your support on this
matter, and to state once more my commitment to doing all I can to fight
the cause.

Yours sincerely,
Caroline Lucas MEP [/quote]

When I was first eligible to vote, I conciously made an effort to read
manifestos of the three main parties. I made my choice and have pretty
much stuck with it since then, because the reasoning behind my choice
has been reasonably constant since then. I think that next time theres
an election, I'm going to make sure that I read up on the greens policies.

Hey, I might not change my views, but at least it'll leave me better
informed!

regards

John D.